Dr. Izzi Is In

Saints, sinners, and celebrities seek author, speaker, and life coach Dr. Izzi for her honesty, fresh perspective, and direct approach to life's challenges. Relax, refresh, recharge--
Dr. Izzi is in!

Friday, April 14, 2006

Please Be Seated

As I sit here in the airport waiting for my flight to Indianapolis, which is delayed for an hour because of “severe weather,” I wonder: Is anyone besides me convinced that airport seats are deliberately designed as devices of torture? I can just imagine “Acme Chair Co.,” run by sadistic engineers who perform consumer tests by observing people sitting in their chairs in a glassed-in torture chamber...er, test lab. They lure unsuspecting people with the promise of fifty dollars if they'll just sit in an Acme chair for an hour. Who wouldn’t say yes to that?

But ten minutes in, the test user’s back muscles spasm. She shifts in the chair.

“Don’t move!” barks the voice from the speaker.

Two minutes later, she bangs her elbow on the armrest. “Arghk!”

“Silence!”

Twenty more minutes go by, and the molded plastic seat is boring into the poor girl’s spine. "Can I get up for just a second?” she pleads into the empty room.

“Never! You want that fifty bucks, don’t you?”

“I can’t stand it anymore! I’ll die if I have to wait in that chair another minute.”

On the other side of the glass, the Acme engineers are high-five-ing each other, slapping each other silly, and uncorking the champagne. “We’ve done it again,” they announce to the VP of manufacturing, who’s stepped in to watch the test. “The perfect design. We’ll have this in every airport in the world by next week.”

Izzi-Freaks, sitting here waiting for my flight to board, I’m surrounded by tortured people who can’t wait to be released from their seats, from this airport, the past, or the anxiety of where they're headed.

The gray-haired executive next to me is practicing what sounds like a speech to shareholders, apologizing for this quarter’s slump. He’s terrified of getting kicked out and losing all the perks that come with his position. He’s waiting for applause or a cardboard box. I thought the girl on my other side was crying to herself until I saw the hands-free wire of her cell phone hanging from her hair like a slender braid. She’s crying to her boyfriend, petrified he’ll see his old girlfriend while she’s gone. She’s waiting for the other shoe to drop.

(Insert note here: I don’t eavesdrop on purpose, but how can you help it in these close quarters?)

Freaks, everyone’s waiting for something. What’s your painful chair, and what are you waiting for? Post your comments, and pass the ice pack.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Izzi,
I feel your pain, litereally! I spend up to 75% of my time in airports on my way to evaluate situations that usually make me wish I could go back to those unrelenting airport seats. What's my painful chair? Knowing I can't help everyone, but at least I can help the one, right? What am I waiting for? An answer that solves the issue of global starvation. I think it's close, I know someone...well, at least I hope he has the answer. I believe in him. So I'm waiting on that, too. Then maybe the images of those I couldn't help will finally face.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I meant fade for that last word. I can't even believe I'm telling you all this, Dr. Izzi. Thanks for listening.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Izzi,
If that is your real name, anyway. Sounds like a pirate name to me. So,you want to know what my painful chair is, eh? Well, you landlubber, tis this blasted ship I'm on. I've given up my captain's cabin to that spoiled girl, the beautiful Lady Ashton, and now I must hang from the beams in my hammock like the rest of the villainous scrubs aboard--a most unworthy position for someone in command. But alas, it seems we all have our crosses to bear, or chairs in your coddled case. And if ye must know, I'm waiting for this God of hers to show himself. Is He real, afterall, and can He save our son from that bloodthirsty knave, Morris? Since you seem to have all the answers, do enlighten us all, Doctor.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My painful chair is my grandmother, because she's being a pain in the rear. Nag nag nag nag nag. This is the 21st century and women don't have to get married! Being the family's oldest single female cousin isn't an embarassment--so why is she treating me like it is?

Lex

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home