Dr. Izzi Is In

Saints, sinners, and celebrities seek author, speaker, and life coach Dr. Izzi for her honesty, fresh perspective, and direct approach to life's challenges. Relax, refresh, recharge--
Dr. Izzi is in!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Reality Show

Last week I went to the pediatric cardiologist with my best friend, Suzanne, whose 5-yr old daughter was sick a few months ago with a scary illness that can cause a lot of long-term problems, like heart disease, over time.

Suzanne asked me to come because she says she feels totally helpless now when it comes to Krista. As if to prove she once had the ability to manage the universe, she often reminds me: "I wrote a birth plan."

As Krista lay on the examining table, her feet in their jellies angled in a relaxed V, the cardiologist, a sensitive-looking man with a long nose and pale hair, squirted some gel on her chest. “We’re going to make a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich out of you,” he joked.

“But I like ba-lo-ney.” Krista frowned at her mother, like: 'What a loser.'

The doc laughed and placed the transducer wand in the gel and turned on the ultrasound machine, which revved like an airplane before takeoff. As he slid the wand around Krista's chest, murky images of her heart appeared on the screen like the answer from a Magic-8 ball.

“Coronary artery looks good,” said the doc in that noncommittal way they use before they've collected all the information. “There’s the left atrium, the left ventricle."

I watched the dark, hollow chambers loom and dissolve on the screen and a valve open and close like twinned pinball paddles as the chambers filled and emptied. The doctor marked the outermost edges with the pointer and pressed a button on the machine to capture a picture of Krista's heart at the precise moment when one chamber was nearly empty and the other nearly full. This was not the fanciest machine--not like the 3-D one they used when I was pregnant with Trey--and though I couldn't see the blood moving through Krista’s heart, I knew it was there.

Suzanne stood like a steeple next to Krista, squeezing her daughter's hand.

"That's all," the doctor said and gently wiped the gel off Krista's chest. Suzanne helped her sit up and put on her T-shirt.

“Things look good,” the doc said and looked at Krista. “You’re a lucky girl.”

Then Suzanne asked the question she didn't want to hear the answer to: “Will she be okay?”

The doctor turned off the machine and replaced the transducer in its holder. Then he opened his palms like a benediction. “We don’t know. She's at a higher risk for heart disease and stroke. It could affect her kidneys….” He glanced at Krista. “Can't say. We just have to watch it."

Although this news had chased away my friend's fear for the moment, the uncertainty of her daughter's future smudges the joy she believes she's entitled to. This is Suzanne's reality, no matter how she wants her life to appear. It's her reality show.

Freaks, what's yours? Let's get real.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Izzi! Welcome back!
My reality show? Hmmmm, I'm on an airplace with the guy who walked out one me five years ago. Why? A mutual friend was killed and we're the ones burying him. One minute I want to cry over the loss, the next I want to belt my old flame, just because. LOL! Yeah, I guess I let him go, but he walked, scared I guess. I think he want to tell me why, but you know, I'm not sure I want to hear it. Be still my heart—or else I'll sock you too!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reality show? I'm not sure what that is, but if I'm understandin' ye correctly, my reality--the reality that steals me joy away is the truth of what I've done in me past. The foolish actions of a man without God who forced himself on the woman he loves. Now, tis only me who pays the price. for with every glance she graces to send me way, I see the cold shield she throws up betwixt us. Can we ever make amends, Dr. Izzi, for the things we done prior to finding God?

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home